TEN CRITICAL QUESTIONS ON YORUBA HISTORY
(11) WHO WAS THE FIRST KING OF OYO AND IFE AND THEIR TIME OF REIGN? WHEN WAS THE TITLE “OBA ” USE ON YORUBA MONARCHY ? WHO, WHEN AND HOW?
(12) If the Igbo claims that the Edo people migrate from Igboland or the Edo’s are of Igbo origin. Then they should ask this question, why is Obi onitsha, the Azagba of Asaba and the Obi of Agbor pay homage to the Oba of Benin? And if the Yorubas says, Edo people are of their Origin then they should ask themselves these questions ; why is their language different from Edo, why is that no part in Edo land has similar names with theirs? The Yorubas should find out the meaning of ‘Eko’ called Lagos. Sincerely before the Portuguese came to this land called Nigeria the social-cultural lives of the Benin Kingdom was perfectly ok compare to the Igbos and the Yorubas. The origin of the Benin monarch or Benin Kingdom can not be traced to the Igbos or the Yorubas rather theirs.
Rejoinder by Avenbuan Omo Omwenyeke
(1) Oduduwa is not the father of Yoruba states. There is no proof or verifiable fact, that Yorubas own their origin to Oduduwa. The Yoruba confederacy long existed before the coming of Oduduwa (Izoduwa)
2. Ogiso (Ogie-No-Ghiso) dynasty existed in Idu / Igodomigodo for about 1200 years. In all, there were 38 Ogisos that ruled over Igodomigodo. Evian / Ogiamien (acting Ogiso) was the last Ogiso to rule Igodomigodo.
3. Fast forward, Omonoyan (Oramiyan) son of Oduduwa (Izoduwa) did arrive Igodomigodo but was never crowned Ogiso or Oba. The first crowned Oba of Igodomigodo was the son of Oranmiyan (Omonoyan) and Adesuwa, daughter of Osanegor (Enogie of Egor) and he was born deaf and dumb. In his first utterance playing marbles, he uttered Owomika, a word that was corrupted to Eweka and he was crowned Oba Eweka I. Oba Eweka I reign ushered in the second dynasty in about 1200AD.
4. Note, the fact that, white are in majority in North America does not take the fact away that, Indians which constitute less than 2% of the population were here more than 500 years before the arrival of Christopher Columbus. Same goes to Australia where the aborigines are in significant minority to the migrant whites. The English and the British monarchy are migrants fromn the region of anglo-saxon from Germany and the majority of UK population. The Scottish, Welsh are the original settlers of UK long before the English arrival.
5. If Yorubas can corrupt Izoduwa to Oduduwa and Owomika corruption to Eweka by the king makers of Igodomigodo, then, one can understand the misrepresentation by historian of falsehood of claiming Odududwa to have descended from a chain from the sky. Examine the correlation of Ogie-No-Ghiso (A King that look up to the sky) whose family greetings is DELAISO and a king that descended from the sky? Examine the plausibility and the history of Ekaladerhan Izoduwa, son of Ogiso and the history of pathetic falsehood to gain political advantage? It is just like Mungo Park discovered river Niger.
How can Mungo Park discover river Niger when west Africans used that river from time immemorial of the river existence for fishing, source of water, transportation etc? One fact remain, Idu / Igodomigodo long existed with Ogiso dynasty before the conception of Oduduwa. It is also a verifiable fact that, Ekaladerhan Izoduwa, son of Ogiso Owodo was banished from Igodomigodo.
Other Account culled from Internet converation:
During the 15th century Benin Was first Igodomigodo and Greater than Ife(Oduduwa) Igodomigodo kingdom Was the greatest Ogiso and first King in West Africa Region to receive foreign traders.The Last Ogiso Son who was to succeed his Father was banished from Edo and arrived Yoruba kingdom and was crown has their King and title the throne name has Ilefe Izoduwa in Edo Language which is corrupted to Ile-ife Oduduwa in Yoruba understanding. The Powerful Kingdom in Nigeria and first Empire recognize by foreign traders was (Ubini) Edo Kingdom. Edo King capture many towns such as Eko which is now Lagos and also capture Ijebu and Edo Kingdom were stretch from Ijebu and Lagos to Republic of Darhomey which is now change to Republic of Benin. Respect for the priestly functions of the oni of Ife was a crucial factor in the evolution of Yoruba ethnicity. The Ife model of government was adept and derived its military strength from its cavalry forces, which established hegemony over the adjacent Nupe and the Borgu kingdoms and thereby developed trade routes farther to the north.
Edoland established a community in the Yoruba-speaking area east of Ubini before becoming a dependency of Benin Kingdom at the beginning of the 14th century. By the 15th century it became an independent trading power, blocking Ife’s access to the coastal ports as Oyo had cut off the mother city from the savanna. Political and religious authority resided in the oba (king) who according to tradition was descended from the Ogiso dynasty in Benin Kingdom. Benin, which may have housed much inhabitants at its height, spread over large square km that were enclosed by concentric rings of earthworks. By the late 15th century Edo Kingdom was in contact with Portugal (see Atlantic slave trade). At its apogee in the 16th and 17th centuries, Edo encompassed parts of southeastern Yorubaland,and the western parts of the present Delta State.