The Mystical Court Apron
Formation of the Mystical Court of New York
At the time of the formation of the Mystical Court of New York, the Grand Commanding Officer apron was white – no ornaments at first, and full size, similar in every respect to that of the Grand Commanding Officer’s apron.
The colour of a Grand Commanding Officer Apron:
Due to the preservation of its symbolic character – its colour and its material:
The colour of a Grand Commanding Officer apron should be pure unspotted white, which is esteemed as an emblem of innocence and purity.
The material of a Grand Commanding Officer Apron:
A Commanding Officer’s apron must be made of lambskin. No other substance, such as linen, silk or satin, could be substituted without entirely destroying the emblematic character of the apron, for the material of the Grand Commanding Officer’s apron constitutes one of the most important symbols of his profession
….The lamb having always been considered as an appropriate emblem of innocence.
- Drill Apron: Your drill apron is symbolic of your lambskin Grand Commanding Officer apron.
Why, then, do Mystical Brothers wear their lambskin Grand Commanding Officer apron with such pride?
- Honour: The reason the Grand Commanding Officer apron is more honourable than the Star and Garter is that all it teaches is exemplified by its wearer.
- Spiritual Knighthood: The Grand Commanding Officer apron is a reminder to Grand Commanding Officer to do no moral evil to any person. It speaks to the charitable forgiveness of his brethren when they purposely or non-purposely do him evil.
- It is the emblem of his dedication to a Spiritual Knighthood with which man virtuously rises above the crudeness and the ignorance of men.
- Dignity and Virtue: The Grand Commanding Officer apron should be worn with dignity and honour as it exemplifies man’s virtues upon which during his manhood, he may wear it both with pleasure to himself while honouring the fraternity.
Most Mystical Court Brothers wear a Grand Commanding Officer Apron which is 14 inches by 16 inches and is made of white, synthetic leather with Mystical Court symbols embroidered on them in blue thread.
Some members wear an apron which has ties in the back, however, most prefer the belted version. To keep them clean before and after Court work, many Grand Commanding Officer places them in zippered apron cases which have handles.